Tuesday, August 16, 2011

My new (old) french provincial sideboard

I've finally finished the antique walnut French Provincial sideboard that I scored for $60 from eBay. I've had sitting in my carport since April and was a bit nervous about starting until I was 100% sure my skills were worthy of this beautiful piece.


I'm so happy to have this in my dining room at last. I love everything about this piece of furniture. The walnut top is beautiful. The varnish was very damaged so I stripped it all off and the wood was so beautiful that I've just waxed it and it's so silky smooth to touch. 

The shape of the mouldings, the slight chalkiness of the paint, the vintage porcelain cabinet knobs from Limoges France, the great storage ....all perfect.

Here it is before - I loved the shape of it but really hated the streakiness of the walnut on the front doors. Also the handles were just not right for this piece of furniture.

and I can't resist one more peek....

I still need to sort my dining table out and hang my Laura Matthews' painting up on the side wall but will do that when I get back from my trip to America (will post about that exciting venture soon).

Hope you're all having a great day. 

cheers
Fiona

21 comments:

  1. the sideboard turned out beautiful. love the detail and you did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love It! You did great job! Can't wait to hear about your trip! Mx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just freakin' gorgeous!!!! I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry did you say $60 are you kidding me? How many pieces of furniture do you have in the garage/shed? Your skills "ROCK." Looking forward to seeing more of your absolutely amazing restyles!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One word can describe this.... BEAUTIFUL! Great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is such a beautiful piece- i love the size and style.... those cute curvy legs! you made it even more beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is gorgeous!! It looks silky smoothe :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do l-o-v-e the way you keep the tops in timber. very nice. America!!! Sounds very exciting. Can't wait to hear...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh you've gotta love eBay when you find pieces like this. Great restoration job.
    Cheers
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  10. As always, you have done a lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Be still my envious heart...absolutely FABULOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely sideboard. Love what you did to it. Thanks for dropping by Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays and joining the linky party

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's beautiful! Great job!
    I'm your newest fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. love it! i featured you!!! http://typeadecorating.blogspot.com/2011/08/highlights-from-anything-goes-30.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beauty this is!! So gorgeous! Thanks for sharing at FNF :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fiona,

    can I please ask what brand/color/finish of paint did you use for the white?

    I'd love to try this on a piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, it's dulux low sheen paint in lexicon quarter (from memory)
      Good luck!
      Fiona

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Sorry if you have trouble commenting, you can always email me at lilyfieldlife@bigpond.com